Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Overload warnings

I have read many fascinating "Overload" warning success stories, and they usually have the same thank god I decided to stop and dig it up endings. 
From old swords and muskets to gold Rolex watches and gold chains to die for.
All beach treasure hunters dream about finding a treasure chest full of old coins, a thick gold chain or a gold Rolex with a diamond encrusted bezel.
I wonder what response you would get from your metal detector if your search coil passed over one of those bucket list finds, perhaps an overload warning.
Would you stop to investigate or walk away from an overload signal or warning from your metal detector? 
I always stop and see what the heck is causing an overload signal, even if I have to waste valuable metal detecting time doing it. 
If it is a big piece of movable junk, I will move the object causing the overload signal and detect around the area.
My thoughts are how many people did not investigate the source of the overload and how long stuff may have gone undetected close to whatever is blasting out my headphones.
I never give up and walk away from a target once Ive started digging it, if it is an overload signal I need to know what is causing the warning.
Which can be very frustrating if I'm water hunting, sometimes I will mark and revisit the site at a more favorable time.
One mans trash can often hide another mans treasure at the beach.
The larger a trash target at the beach is, the more valuable target masking or hiding potential the immediate area has.
The next time you receive an overload signal warning, think of the opportunities as it could be something good or have something good close to it. 
Cannon or sewer pipe, cannon ball or rusty clump of iron, beer can or Rolex, one day you dig up an overload signal that pays off.
Assuming you don't always see an overload warning as a bad sign and not worth the hassle of stopping to investigate or dig it up.
Im happy I stopped to investigate this overload warning on Oak Island a couple of years ago, it turned out to be a trade or ships rigging axe from the 1730s 







No comments:

Post a Comment